Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trust Me, You Need a Reminder

Just a reminder to all the parents out there.  All the Mommy's and Daddy's and anyone raising children these days.  Every home gets messy.  Every kid eats a bowl of cereal or peanut butter sandwich for dinner sometimes and that is ok.  My kids had peanuts, bananas and hot dogs for dinner just the other night, and CPS didn't visit and the kids lived to tell about it the next day.
The other parent's you compare yourselves to, they have bad days.  Their dishes pile up and their laundry is ready to go again before the last load is folded and put away.  Everyone gets tired.  Everyone feels like having a lazy day.  Of course their house "always" seems clean- cause they were expecting you SO THEY CLEANED UP!!
I often need reminders like these and I have alot of "self-talk" going on with myself about parenting.  I know I don't make ALL of the right decisions, I know that I am not the BEST parent ALL of the time but I WANT to be and that makes a difference.  I get lazy and tired and just plain sick of the house sometimes or the battles or the laundry or how much I feel like I spend my entire life in the kitchen, but I want my children to know I love them and I always loved them every moment of their childhoods and entire lives.
 
I need a reminder that while that "other Mom" might be the neatest neat freak and not even a hair seems out of place, I am a much more interactive story teller than she is.  I need to remind myself that even though I may have forgotten a tad bit of sunscreen on my daughter's little neck, she loved that I jumped right into the baby pool and pretended to be all kinds of silly water animals with her to brighten her day.  I have to be reminded that even though we had pizza twice this week, they loved it both times and would eat it again tomorrow if I talked it up one more time.  So we ran errands and she had jelly all over the front of her shirt, she thought my peanut butter and jelly on homemade waffles was the most fun lunch EVER!

Everyone has overwhelming days, hell weeks and sometimes longer.  Every person in charge of raising a little person gets stressed, feels like the worst parent ever at times, gets too tired to be patient every minute of the day and just wants to escape life for a little while and pretend that there aren't so many responsibilities.  I need reminders from myself, from other parents, my husband and especially my kids.  I know they aren't trying to be insulting when they say "I don't like that for dinner, that's yucky" to a meal they have eaten a zillion times. I know that when they are upset about being disciplined and they say "Dad, GO TO WORK!!" they don't really want him to leave.
I also know that when I am not feeling well and my son makes sure my water glass is full all day long so I can "drink fluids to get better." He is not only being sweet but reminding me that he listens to what I say and he cares about me feeling better.  The fact that each of my kids smile EVERY morning when I get them out of bed, like they can't believe I have showed up AGAIN after all these mornings, that I am the luckiest Mommy in the whole world and they are overlooking my faults just as much as I am over looking some of theirs.

Have a great day parents and remember to take in the reminders.  Remind yourself and your children how much you love them and you love this life, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment