Friday, July 8, 2011

I want my Daddy!!!

     I am reminded, as I sit with my little girl, how much I was a Daddy's girl and still am.  She is sitting on my lap and holding her blankie (Ki Ki) and telling me she wants "Daddy", in her cute 2 year old voice.

     When I was born my mother had a stroke (that she fully recovered from).  Nevertheless, at that crucial time when I should have been nursing and bonding with my Mother, she was taken from me for weeks.  Even once she returned she was not strong enough to hold me while standing and couldn't be left alone with me much because of that, so I bonded with my Daddy.  I have always heard stories of how he never let other people hold me because I was "His Baby" and he was terrified that he was all I would have left as he was led to believe my Mother would not make it through the stroke.
     She did make it and is still with me today and had a full recovery AND my little brother(24) without any complications.  However, my bonding moments with my Mom were few and far between and I was a Daddy's girl.  When I woke up crying it was always for Daddy.  When I was somewhere unfamiliar I always turned to my Daddy.  I was his shadow planting the garden, changing the oil, putting on a new roof, washing the truck, cooking and grocery shopping, anything he did I was right there.  I was his sidekick.  He often tells me how fun it was having a sidekick because I would do ANYTHING he asked.  We had lots of laughs and he was also my best friend.  One time in the grocery store he dared me to run and slide on my butt to see how far I could go and yup, I just did it without question!  We have lots of crazy fun memories like that.

     As my daughter asks for Daddy I have to wonder will she have the cherished and special relationship that I had with my Dad as a young girl and still have with my Dad as an older girl (not old just old-ER)?  I had always hoped that if I had my own daughter she would also adore her Daddy the way I adore mine and it appears that after the 2 short years we have had with her, that she is following in my footsteps and as you all know, Mommy does know best!

1 comment:

  1. I have two daughters one is and always has been more of a mommy's girl. The other one is and always has been a daddy'd girl just like I always was. I am a new follower from the Finding Friends blog hop. Visit my daughter and I at our blog, Says Me Says Mom (http:saysmesaysmom.blogspot.com) where we talk about anything and everything.

    ReplyDelete