Thursday, January 31, 2013

What's With Those Grandpas Anyway?

When I was growing up, we lived 4 hours from my extended family.  We traveled to Michigan to visit my cousins and aunts and uncles as well as my grandparents, but it wasn't the same as most of my friends whose entire families lived in this area.  When I was about 8 years old I wrote a letter to the Maw Maw and Paw Paw across the street explaining my "situation" asking them if they would be my adopted Grandparents.  They said YES!  They always invited my brother and I over for cookouts and Easter egg hunts and always gave us McDonald's gift certificates for Christmas.

Not too long ago I ran into Paw Paw at the local gas station and thought for sure he would never remember that scrawny little girl who lived across the street.  He turned around, opened his arms and said, "Amy! Well, I'll be!"  I was shocked and I was also grateful that I had been important enough in his life, that he remembered exactly who I was because I would NEVER forget him.

He was one of those neighborhood Grandpas who always had several packs of $.25 gum in his pocket, you know the ones, Juicy Fruit and Doublemint.  Whenever he would be walking to his truck or out checking the mail and the kids were out playing, he would walk on over and give each kiddo a pack of gum.  He must have had a bazillion dollars tied up in Wrigley's!

Fast forward to right now and my "Work Grandpa" who walks around with Bullseyes in his pocket, you know the caramels with creme in the middle?  Well, I have been working there for 8 years and ever since I started, and I am sure for many years before, he walks through the halls and when he sees a buddy, he discretely hands you a Bullseye.  There are people who don't like them at all, they still take them because the gesture is so kind, how could you not?  He brings a smile to lots of folks just by having candy in his pocket for them.

At least one morning each week, we stop by Daddy's work on the way home from dropping Henry off at school.  It's an auto parts store so it is FILLED to the brim with Grandpas.  Callie loves to stop in to give Daddy a kiss and hug and of course all the Grandpas are always happy to see a kiddo in the place.  Mr. Al always come up to her and does the old "pick a hand", she always seems to pick the wrong one but he gives her a quarter anyway.  It makes her day and makes his day too.  This is the "Grandpa" that she will remember when she gets older and has her own children.  She LOVES him and is not only excited to see Daddy but to play Mr. Al's game and get her reward.  He keeps a pocketful of quarters for each and EVERY kid he runs into on a daily basis. 

Today, not only did he give her a quarter and one for Henry, who is at school, he told Callie a secret and handed her $15.  He told her to take Mommy and Henry out for lunch today after kindergarten.  I immediately gave the money to Jon and said, "can you get this back to Al? He did NOT have to do that."  Jon says, "I can, but he won't take it."  So Callie and I went on up to Mr. Al and gave him a hug and thanked him for lunch.

I know that this is one of the "Grandpas" they will remember, but we are so lucky to actually live close to one of our Grandpas, my Dad.  Already they have inside jokes with him and already there are things that will always remind them of him for as long as they live.  Poppy always makes sure to have watermelon gum for them.  Poppy gets them Zebra cakes and Fudge Rounds every time he goes to the grocery store.  I hear things come out of the kid's mouths that I know directly came from Poppy.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your long MOP!"  or  "You don't see that everyday"  or "Cashews are NOW available."  or  "Did you hear the one about the watermelon?  No? It's pitiful."  I could fill a book!

When it comes down to it, Grandpas all have the same thing in mind.  These kiddos bring smiles to their faces and they in turn want to bring smiles to their cute little faces.  Being a Grandpa is so awesome that they want to be Grandpas to all kinds of happy kiddos in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment