Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Weight of the World

Friday afternoon, while I was tucking Callie in for a nap, Henry was fast at work in his room.  He was still working on this piece when I got in there to read to him and asked if he could finish.  While I watched him color in his muscles (he he) I sat back in awe at what I was seeing.  I'll admit it, this picture brought a happy tear to my eye.  I almost can't even find the words to explain how happy it makes me feel.  I want to put it on a t-shirt and wear it around with pride.

As I looked at the picture of my son (it's a self portrait) and his bulging biceps carrying a rainbow I felt many emotions.  See it made me think of a few important things.  The first being that a rainbow weighs NOTHING.  It is a reflection of light after a rain.  It is something beautiful and rare that comes after a storm.  It is the reward for the rough times.  Here is Henry holding it high in the sky.

The second thing it made me think of is the phrase "Carrying the Weight of the World on Your Shoulders."  This phrase is mostly thought of negatively and you hear it when people are going through alot of hell at one time.  It is personal.  It is heavy.  It is ever present in a difficult time.  Friends who are arguing, parents who have lost a child, people who cannot pay their bills or afford groceries, people with more things to do than time in the day, people who have lost a home or a job, these are the people who are carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders.

So then let's get deep for a minute, and if you don't wanna then quit reading now.  This is your only warning.

What if after a storm, after a difficult day or year, after a major loss or struggle, a rainbow is God holding up a gift for you?  See the rainbow NEVER weighs a thing so it isn't necessary to "lift" it up, but for those of you who catch sight of a rainbow every once in awhile maybe you should stop and think that it is a gift from God.  God is holding it up for YOU, not because it weighs a bunch and he is trying to show off his muscles,  but because the weight of the world seems to be on your shoulders and you are not seeing the rainbow that is your reward for weathering the storm.  It is also a reminder that God is the one who carries the true weight of your world and a rainbow just reminds you that you are not alone.

Cheesy? Maybe so, but I have no idea, NO IDEA where this particular idea came from in my 5 year old son's mind.  I know that he can draw a bunch of things.  I know that he thinks his Daddy is the strongest guy in the world and he wants to be strong like him.  I know that he could have drawn a variety of things on his chalkboard that day but this takes the cake.  This drawing that came from his imagination was truly a gift from God for his Mother and I couldn't love it any more than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment