Monday, December 31, 2012

It's our Anniversary!

Happy Anniversary to my husband Jonathan.  6 years ago we got married in front of God, Family, Friends and each other and looking back at the pictures brings back all of the wonderful memories of that day and those leading up to it.

I wasn't the kind of girl who had my wedding planned since I was a little girl.  I wasn't the girl who cared much about details, a poofy dress, a giant diamond and an expensive party.  I was the kind of girl who wanted to be picky and choosy and make sure that the decision I made, to spend my life with one and only one person, was done carefully and with no settling.  I chose wisely and the rest are just details.

I wanted to make sure I chose someone who would be a good partner.  A man who would be faithful to me and our family.  A man who I love, who provides for our family and who I have alot of laughs and fun with as well as someone who loves me for who I am now who he wants me to be.  Jon is an amazing husband and an incredible father to our children.

All that being said, was our wedding what I would have dreamed it to be?  Oh no, but I wouldn't change one thing about it!

Jon and I met a little over 10 years ago and started dating immediately.  A couple of months into dating we spent our first New Year's Eve together and to kick it off we decided to watch the sunrise with our dear friend Alex, who was in from California.  Riding on some back roads in Lexington, to find our spot to watch the sunrise together, we cam upon some railroad tracks that the boys insisted we RAMP over.  We did, and the boys laughed and I blacked out because from the stunt I ended up crushing one of my vertebrae and we got to ring in the new year in the hospital.  It was our first of many New Year's together.

In the spring of that year Jon moved away to SC and I stayed in Kentucky.  We broke up shortly before he left town and for 3 years didn't see each other or speak much.  Every New Year's Day he would call me and we would "catch up" and that was all of the communication we had with each other.  Until March of 2006, when I sent Jon a snotty email because I never did get my New Year's Day phone call.  The rest is history!  We started talking and by May were dating, by August he had moved back to Kentucky and by December we were married, on New Year's Eve.

Our wedding was not what I thought my wedding would be like, and like I said, I wouldn't change a thing.  Jon and I found out we were pregnant with Henry at the end of August that year and it changed nothing about us being together.  We planned a wedding for New Year's Eve, which we both felt was our fated wedding day, given our incredible past thus far.  We decided to have a small wedding and invite everyone who we felt absolutely must be there.  Our cakes were made by my Mother in Law and Sister in Law, Jon's cousins took all the photos and played the music for our ceremony.  We found a church, that we had been attending for a few months, that was run by a pastor who had studied under Uncle Tony at the Lexington Theological Seminary and so in his way, he was there celebrating with us.  My grandparents made it from Michigan.  Uncle Tony's second wife and widow was the minister who married us in the church.  We hosted a reception at our apartment clubhouse and had good friends be our caterers, my Dad was the DJ and we celebrated in style and had a blast.  Most importantly our son, Henry, was there with us in my belly and we all celebrated our blessings.

As I said, I wouldn't change anything.  I know that everything happens the way God plans it and I am grateful and blessed to have everything I have.  I adore my husband even though being married is alot of work.  I adore my children and could cry just looking at them sometimes, I am that blessed to have them in my life.  Our families have been so supportive and loving and each adores the one their child has chosen for a mate.
When we celebrate our 6 year anniversary today we are also celebrating so much more.  Of course, we are also celebrating the 10 year anniversary of knowing we were meant to be together and for that I am also very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment