Friday, December 21, 2012

Angels in Disguise

For the past couple of days Callie has insisted on wearing a princess dress or wedding gown all day long.  This is a simple request as long as she has a coat on and appropriate footwear and such, so she has been a bride everywhere we have gone!
Yesterday I took the kids out to the Chinese restaurant for lunch bride and all and it was fantastic!  Of course everyone looks at the bride as she struts around the restaurant choosing what she wants from the buffet.  she smiled at everyone and loved the attention.  She had a skip in her step and was just so happy to be all dressed up.
We had a great lunch and as we were leaving an older couple stopped us to ask how old the kids were and tell Callie how pretty she looked in her veil (yup veil and all) and they told me that they had heard our lunch conversation and that I was a good mom.  We skipped out to the car with smiles on our faces.

So the conversation they overheard was actually a pretty serious one that we were having about sharing what we have with others and giving to those in need.  I told them that I know a man who has to work inside many different people's homes and sometimes when he sees how little these people have or notices their struggles and if they have children as well, he will go to the grocery store and load up on a couple of bags of groceries, go back and leave it on their doorstep and head home.  He doesn't want any thanks, he doesn't need recognition, he just wants to give them something that we take for granted, FOOD.  Necessities.  This man is my father and their Poppy.  We got into a very philosophical conversation about families in need and giving and how easy it is and how good it feels.

I felt blessed to share that with my children and I was also very proud for this couple to have overheard our discussion and felt the need to stop me and tell me so. 

Giving is always better than receiving.  Giving feels so good in your heart.  Being able to help someone is a million times better a reward than the newest shoes, clothes, toys and technology.  I have learned many lessons in my life and I know that I can do without when it comes to extras and I am always willing to do so if it means someone else can have necessities.  I am so happy that my Dad has been an Angel for people who don't even know who left these groceries on their doorstep and even prouder that my kid's Poppy is this Angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment