Friday, February 24, 2012

Things We Do

In an effort to teach my kiddos and give them as many experiences in life as I can, we have been up to all kinds of little art projects lately and I want to share them with you!

A Fishy Puzzle

A Scuba Diver Puzzle

Handmade Crayons

My kids LOVE puzzles so the other day we made our own.  I seem to have an endless supply of cardboard so... We got to drawing and gluing and Mommy did the cutting and we made puzzles.  They are much more challenging than the ones from the store so they both love them and the fact that we can all sit down and do puzzles together. 

When I notice lots of broken and scrap crayons we sort through the crayon bin, peeling and snapping and sorting the crayons into like colors.  I use a large muffin pan with 6 cups in it but small muffins would be great for those little fingers.  I heat the oven to 300 and after 6-8 minutes they are liquid.  I put them in the freezer to set and then we bust them up and draw!  The kids LOVE this project and I involve them in the entire process so they can learn about not only color but recycling and even the science of liquids and solids. Super fun and easy!!
** Note: this pan will never be used for actual cooking again so get a cheapie from the dollar store that you can dedicated to crayon melting**

No comments:

Post a Comment