Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sick Days

I remember sick days, when I was a child, and I remember them vividly.  My Mom would always set me up on the couch with my blankets and barf bucket, sprite to sip on through a straw and she would run to the video store and grab some movies for me.  Mostly she wanted me to be close to her in case I needed her, and believe me I was the puker who needed a support system!
If I wasn't puky, then she still set me up with everything I needed right next to me on the couch, my sick bed.
My Dad would call to check in a few times during the day and he would always bring me home some kind of gift.  Coloring books, stickers, a barbie doll and always a candy bar.  He would put the candy bar on the table and tell me that when my belly wasn't sick, and I could prove it to him, I could have my candy bar. My motivator.  How would I "prove" that I wasn't belly sick anymore???  I would do a cartwheel of course! Who can do a cartwheel when they are barfy??

Fortunately for us, we haven't had many sick days with the kids.  They aren't in any kind of child care except at home with me and the library and museum are probably the places where we pick up the germs we have gotten. 
Today was a sick day for us and I am also grateful that it wasn't a puke sick.  We are all snotty and coughy and sore throaty and full of junk.  Henry is just fine but I had to ask Jon to stay home to help me today cause I was in no shape to do anything except lay in bed, or couch or sometimes floor.
This is what a sick day at our house looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment