Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Always Magical

When I was a kid my favorite show was Sesame Street.  I loved everything about it, the songs, the numbers and letters, learning to speak Spanish, it was the most fun hour of each of my days growing up.  All that was really great but the treat of the entire hour was the Muppets!  The beginning of the show always had a sequence with the puppets of Sesame Street interacting with some of the human actors and I was always in awe.  I never felt like there was enough "Muppet Time" day after day, but I still tuned in to see what they would do.

The Muppets Take Manhattan was my all time favorite movie.  Watching Kermit ride a bike and Miss Piggy on rollerskates just had me completely stumped with my jaw hanging down while I watched.  The mice in the kitchen scene was one of my favorites.  Oh and when Joan Rivers and Miss Piggy put on makeup in the department store, classic.  I couldn't get enough of that movie.

I watched The Muppet Show and even though by the time I was seeing it, it was syndicated and in reruns I knew the theme song, I enjoyed the famous people that would come to be on the show and I even had the record, yes the record, to listen to the songs over and over again.

I watched Muppet Babies every weekend and when McDonald's gave out the Muppet Baby toys in the Happy Meal I was eating nuggets for weeks just to collect them all.

Fraggle Rock came from the Muppets creator, Jim Henson, and it brought just as much enjoyment and I was hooked on it as well.

Muppets Tonight was a short lived but fun version of a late show, with Kermit being the host.

There were several other movies like Muppets in Space and Muppet Treasure Island and the ever popular  Muppet Christmas Carol among others.  I couldn't get enough and I STILL CAN'T!!

We just borrowed The Muppets from the library and I realized that the magic is still there.  These Muppets just make me smile.  The people who were influenced by Jim Henson's Muppets come out of the woodwork to help and be in the films. The celebrities that want to work with The Muppets are so numerous, each movie is filled with them.  The feats and fun things that they have these Muppets do, physically, are just amazing and I just love them.  The emotions that you feel when it is just a puppet for God's sake!  The movies and the shows and the appearances are always satisfying and never a let down.  Kermit just brings a smile to everyone's face.

The other thing about Muppets is that everyone has their favorite.  Some people, like me, have multiple favorites and favorite moments and that is what I will leave you with today.

Animal as a drummer chasing all the ladies is BOSS.  Rowlf the dog was my family's favorite character.
Swedish Chef and his human hands?? need I say more?  The love affair between Miss Piggy and Kermie.  Fozzie Bear and his funny jokes and the crowd throwing tomatoes at him.  The two old men, Statler and Waldorf who give us their commentary whether we want it or not.  Gonzo the...what is Gonzo again?  His best friend and love, Camilla.  Big Bird on roller skates.  Snuffelupagus!  I could go on and on and on...

Rent a movie, rent the series, it will take you back in time and your children will enjoy it too.  These movies still bring smiles to all ages and generations and I still love them just as much as I did when I was 2 years old and started watching them for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment